Renate Bauer im Gespräch mit der Künstlerin und Aktivistin Marika Schmiedt
Amnesty International condemns the eviction of 250 people
(ANSA) – Rome, September 28 – Rome municipal authorities dimantled the Tor de’Cenci Romani settlement on the outskirts of the city, evicted its inhabitants and bulldozed the camp’s housing on Friday morning. Human Rights group Amnesty International said in an open statement to the Italian government that they condemned the „unlawful eviction“ and were „gravely worried for the wellbeing of the 250 inhabitants of the destroyed camp left without any offer of adequate alternative accommodation, leaving many of them at risk of homelessness“. An Amnesty report in April said that Roma, sometimes called Gypsies, continue to face „persecution and human rights abuses“ in Italy. The non-governmental organization criticized the discriminatory climate against Roma, specifically the 2008 Nomad Emergency decree that gave government representatives in the regions of Lombardy, Lazio and Campania the authority to waive human-rights legislation and allowed forced evictions of Roma communities. The decree was declared unlawful by the country’s highest administrative court in 2011. Discrimination against Roma is one of Italy’s biggest human-rights problems, Amnesty International said in the country’s section of its 2010 annual report. The Italian government has consistently denied applying discriminatory practices regarding Roma. Rome Mayor Gianni Alemanno said on Friday that the destruction of the camp had been pre-warned and that no abuses by authorities took place during the operation. Italy’s Minister for Economic Cooperation and Integration Andrea Riccardi expressed his „astonishment at the manner and the suddenness of the eviction of the Roma camp of Tor de‘ Cenci, the destruction of shacks and caravans that all took place in front of numerous children and minors“.
The dismantling precedes a to-be-released report by the Council of Europe Human Rights Commissioner, which has asked Italy to immediately stop the practice of segregation and forced evictions that are in stark contrast to the National Strategy for Roma inclusion, approved by the government last spring.
Randalierer haben die Bewohner eines Roma-Lagers in Marseille vertrieben und das Lager hernach in Brand gesetzt. Zuvor hatten französische Bürger angekündigt, die Anwesenheit der etwa 35 Roma nicht länger zu dulden.
Ohne eine Gerichtsentscheidung abzuwarten, sind Anwohner am Donnerstagabend in Marseille gegen eine illegale Roma-Siedlung vorgegangen. Die Polizei musste im Stadtteil Créneaux im Norden von Marseille am späten Abend eingreifen, um die etwa 30 Anwohner und die Romafamilien zu trennen.
Letztere verließen später mit ihren Wohnwagen den Lagerplatz. Anwohner setzten die hinterlassenen Habseligkeiten der Roma später in Brand.
Die zuständige Stadtteilbürgermeisterin, die Sozialistin Samia Ghali, sagte, die Anwohner hätten sich von den Roma „belästigt“ gefühlt und ihnen vorgeworfen, zu stehlen und die Nachbarschaft „zu verschmutzen“. Die Polizei verzichtete auf Festnahmen. Es sei bei der Vertreibung der Roma nicht zu Gewaltanwendung gekommen, hieß es bei der Polizei in Marseille.
Eine Roma-Vertreterin sagte, sie sei „fassungslos“ über die Vorfälle. Auch die sozialistische Regierung von Präsident François Hollande geht strikt gegen illegale Roma-Siedlungen vor und hat in den vergangenen Wochen Dutzende Lager räumen lassen.
Marseille residents force out Roma, burn their camp
A group of angry residents of a Marseille suburb has forced a group of Roma (Gypsy) families to move on from their temporary camp, before burning everything that they had left behind.
Residents of a housing estate in the southern French city of Marseille forced a group of Roma (Gypsy) families that had installed themselves nearby to move on, before burning all that remained of their encampment, local press reported on Thursday.
According to La Provence newspaper, police were called to separate dozens of the residents from the Roma families, who left the site in Marseille’s 15th arrondissement (district) “without violence”, police said. Everything that was left behind was gathered up and burned. Police said no arrests were made and that there had been no violence.
The locals, according to La Provence, had forewarned the authorities that they would be taking action against the estimated 35 Roma who had installed themselves there a few days before. Samia Ghali, who is mayor of the city’s northern 15th and 16th arrondissements, told AFP a delegation had gone to see her on Thursday morning, complaining of burglaries and that the Roma “had tried to enter buildings and made everything dirty”.
The direct action by locals in Marseille comes as France’s newly-elected Socialist government is under fire for continuing the much-criticised policy of former rightwing President Nicolas Sarkozy of dismantling Gypsy camps and “repatriating” Roma travellers to Romania and Bulgaria. An estimated 15,000 ethnic Roma, mostly originating from Bulgaria and Romania, currently live in makeshift camps across France.
The government moved last month to appease critics of its policy by announcing that it would ease restrictions on Bulgarian and Romanian migrants‘ access to the jobs market. But it said the dismantling of camps would continue, despite calls from some ministers and human rights groups for them to be stopped unless alternative accommodation was arranged first
Sun News Network, September 5, 2012. An apology for this offensive broadcast was displayed on-screen during Levant’s program nearly two weeks after the segment aired. The original video has been removed from all Sun Media websites. (The image in this video is from a Sun News Facebook post.)
„On February 17, 2012, in Ottawa, Immigration Minister Jason Kenney was discussing the arrival of one group of refugee claimants, most of whom are Hungarian. He was not pleased. “Our government is very disturbed by the recent rise in requests from democratic countries that respect human rights,” he remarked. “The rising number of bogus requests from democratic states of the European Union just makes this problem worse.” Kenney first used the term “bogus” in 2009 to describe Roma claimants and has favoured it ever since. He inspired the Toronto Sun to run this headline on October 27, 2011: “Feds vow crackdown as Pearson flooded with bogus Hungarian Roma claims.”
Why are the Roma fleeing Hungary? What is the basis of their refugee claims? Why, despite so much evidence to the contrary, does Kenney insist that Roma refugee claims are fraudulent?“
Ursprünglichen Post anzeigen 4 weitere Wörter
„Roma-Hungarians from Coquitlam, Burnaby and New Westminster protested potential deportations outside the Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada in Vancouver office last Tuesday.
The Coquitlam man had been working in a warehouse and leading a bible study group in New Westminster.
For the first time, they felt safe and had a future to plan for, he said. He had hoped to start his own painting business, but he now faces an uncertain future in Budapest, where there is high unemployment, especially for Roma.
He and his wife were both attacked by racist gangs before they came to Canada in 2009, and things have only gotten worse, as hatred of Roma is on the rise, he claims.“
„Budapest, 27 September 2012: The European Roma Rights Centre is highlighting violent attacks against Roma at an OSCE meeting in Warsaw today. Media reports show at least 20 attacks across four countries, including 10 deaths of Romani people, in the first half of 2012 alone.
The ERRC has monitored media and NGO reports for incidents of violence against Roma in Slovakia, Hungary, the Czech Republic and Bulgaria. The reports show an alarming pattern of anti-Roma attacks across the region. ERRC lists compile reports of more than 120 attacks against Romani people and their property in the last four years in the period up to July 2012, including shootings, stabbings and Molotov cocktails.“